Subject: Re: Starting the business (was new anim. hdwre. adv. (C & Q))
From: RICK CATIZONE <[email-masked]>
To: Multiple recipients of list <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 1995 07:13:11 -0500

The recent discussion about getting started and offering a free logo, 
etc. sounds like it should work, and in some rare cases, may work.

However, as a professional who's been in this crazy field called 
animation I can tell you that the reality is, if they don't pay for it 
the first time, they're not going to want to pay for it the next time.  
On the off chance they do, they will be "astounded" at any kind of normal 
rate.

When you give something away, unless it is literally a donation to 
charitable cause, you have just told your potential client that your time 
and work aren't that involved or worth that much.

Another general rule, even more prevalent in the illustration field, is 
that you don't do "spec" work.  Before you do a spec piece, go into it 
knowing that noting will probably ever come of it, except a new demo 
piece for your reel.  If you're willing to gamble on that investment, 
then go ahead...but know that it is a big gamble.

I close with a story from two years ago.  My rep spoke with an agency in 
Ohio.  After seeing our reels and hearing of our credits, this "gentlean" 
told us that if we had the job if we could show hi a sample of the kind 
of thing he was thinking about.  

Okay, call me a sucker. Even tho' I vowed never to do this again unless 
it was my own project or for a frien,. I spent some time and did a 5 sec 
demo of exactly what he wanted.  Rep talked to him and it was just what 
he wanted. We never did get that job.  He later avoided all our calls, 
except for the first one wherein he told us that he  "thought he'd give 
the guy down the street a shot at doing the final job."  Sure, AFTER he 
has the design and effect idea that was only a nebulous thought in hand.
So basically, we did the problem solving and gave him a visual blueprint 
that he took to some guy in his basement.

No offense whatever to those of you starting in your basement.  That's 
where I started.  But I do have rent and many other expenses that , as a 
professional, I never had at 16 in y basement.

If you do stuff for free, know what you're getting in for.

Finally, bewrae of the "one of a series" ploy.  The first one is done at 
a much lower rate because you're going to be doing 5 spots.  Guess what?
In thirty years, I only remember 3 cases where thosee "series" ever came 
about.

Best, 

Rick Catizone/ANIVISION